Dr. Eric ShepherdBoard-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Eric Shepherd brings his surgical acumen and extensive experience in the field of orthopedics to Santa Barbara Orthopedic Associates.
Dr. Shepherd’s areas of expertise include complex orthopedic trauma reconstruction, pelvic reconstruction, total joint replacement, arthroscopic surgery, and minimally invasive surgical techniques. He holds California licenses in fluoroscopy and X-Ray supervision and was the recipient of the John Charnley Award for his study of hip replacement wear. In addition to his work with the Santa Barbara Orthopedic Associates, Dr. Shepherd is currently the Medical Director of Orthopedic Trauma, a charter member of the Multispecialty Peer Review Committee and chairman of the Surgical Care Improvement Plan at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.
Dr. Shepherd earned a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences from the University of California, Riverside graduating Phi Beta Kappa. He went on to earn his M.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine. After a general surgery internship at the Oregon Health and Science University, he completed a research fellowship at Harbor/UCLA Medical Center and an orthopedic residency at Oregon Health and Sciences University. He then completed two orthopedic trauma fellowships: one at University of California, Davis Medical Center, where he earned the prestigious Morris Hughes Resident Teaching Award, and the other at Auckland City Hospital in New Zealand.
Born and raised in Santa Barbara, Dr. Shepherd is a fifth generation Californian and a proud Eagle scout.
- Undergraduate: Cum Laude, University of California, Riverside, CA
- Medical: University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- Surgical Internship: Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, OR
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, OR
- Research Fellowship: Harbor/UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
- Orthopedic Trauma Fellowship: US Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
- Orthopedic Trauma Fellowship: Auckland City Hospital, Grafton, Auckland, New Zealand
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of California, Riverside
- Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish honor society), University of California, Riverside
- Lower Division Honors, UCR Honors Program
- President of UCR/UCLA Biomedical Sciences Class of 1996
- The John Charnley Award
- Morris Hughes Resident Teaching Award
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Director of Orthopedic Trauma
Eric Shepherd, MD
Dr. Shepherd specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures including:
- Complex Orthopedic Trauma Reconstruction
- Pelvic Reconstruction
- Total Joint Replacement
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Techniques
Last Modified: June 11, 2013| Notice of Privacy Practices